By Sara Matthews
Recipe published in Feast, Issue 28 – July/August 2018
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
3 medium white onions, finely chopped
1 litre of vegetable stock
1 large head of broccoli, stalk removed and broken into florets
Juice and zest of 2 limes (save half the lime zest to garnish)
2tbsp of dried nutritional yeast
Salt and pepper to taste
1tbsp of pine nuts
A pinch of dried chilli flakes to serve
1. Fill a medium saucepan with water, bring to the boil and cook your pasta according to the packet instructions. Drain, cover and set to one side.
2. In a large saucepan, add a tbsp of your vegetable stock and, on a medium heat, sauté the onions and garlic. As the water disappears, add more, a tbsp at a time, so they cook without sticking to the pan. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions soften. Add the rest of the stock, bring to the boil, add the broccoli, then turn down the heat and simmer for 3 minutes.
3. Remove from the heat and add the basil, lime juice and half the zest and nutritional yeast then stir to combine.
4. Leave to stand for 2-3 minutes. Transfer the soup to a blender and blend until you have a smooth soup. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Portion out the noodles into 4 bowls and top with the soup. Garnish with pine nuts, the remaining zest and a sprinkling of dried chilli flakes. Serve immediately