Recipe by www.gressinghamduck.co.uk
2 onions, peeled and roughly chopped
50ml of Jack Daniel’s or other Bourbon
500ml of chicken stock, or water
For the Tennessee rub
6tsps of smoked paprika
2tsps of ground cinnamon
2tsps of black pepper
2tsps of dried chilli flakes
6tsps of grain mustard
4tsps of brown sugar
1tsp of ground ginger
3tsps of Worcester sauce
8 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C, 140°C Fan, Gas Mark 3. Combine all the ingredients of the Tennessee rub and Set aside.
2. Take a baking tray and lay the onions across the bottom of the tray. Take the duck legs and generously season both sides with salt. Then take the Tennessee mix and rub into the duck legs, saving a little to sprinkle on at the end.
3. Place the duck legs onto the onions and pour in the Jack Daniel’s and stock/water so that it comes halfway up the duck legs.
4. Put the legs in the oven and cook for approx 2 hours or until the meat is very tender. During cooking, check there’s enough liquid in the tray and top up if necessary.
5. When the meat is tender remove the tray from the oven and allow the legs to cool a little. With 2 forks, scrape and pull the meat from the bone – this should be easy, if not return the duck to the oven for another 10-15 minutes. If you prefer not to eat the skin of the duck remove this before shredding.
6. When you have taken all the meat off the bone, discard the bones and place the meat onto a board, sprinkle the remaining Tennessee rub over the meat and serve with your favourite slaw and some corn bread. Tuck in!