By Wroxham Barns
500g of peeled potatoes, diced
1/2tbsp of chives, finely chopped
salt and pepper, to season
140g of bread, whizzed into breadcrumbs
4tbsp of sunflower oil
good handful of flour
1. Lay flat the salmon, skin side down onto a baking tray (no baking parchment needed), season as needed. Take 2 lemons, slice one lemon into segments and squeeze the juice out of a second lemon. Lay the lemon segments alongside the fish to enhance the flavour whilst baking. Make sure you squeeze over the lemon juice before popping in the oven. Bake at 190°C for 12-15 mins until cooked thoroughly. Set aside to cool.
2. Simmer the potatoes in gently boiling water for 20 minutes or until tender. Put through a potato ricer if you have one otherwise mash and set aside to cool (do not add milk or butter). Once cooled fold the flaked salmon through the potato mixture and add the zest and juice of another lemon, plus add in your finely sliced chives. Season and add two handfuls of breadcrumbs and mix thoroughly.
3. Shape into fishcake-sized patties or use a round cutter for shaping and set aside to cool.
4. Then coat the fishcakes using the flour, eggs and breadcrumbs, brushing off any loose crumbs.
5. Heat the oil in the frying pan over a moderate heat. When the oil is hot, place the fishcakes into the pan and fry until golden brown on both sides. Remove from the pan and keep warm in a low oven as needed or serve immediately.
6. Serve with lemon wedges. Add roasted cherry tomatoes, broccoli, peas and a hollandaise sauce as required.
Recipe published in Feast, issue 35.