Recipe published in Feast, Issue 7 – July 2016
1 tbsp of coconut oil or rapeseed oil
1 large or 2 small red onions finely sliced
1 crushed garlic clove
Handful of spinach
8 stems of asparagus
8 large eggs, lightly beaten
1. Dice the potatoes into good size pieces, place in a pan of water and boil slowly (to avoid breakage) for about 10 minutes until they are tender but still with a little bite to them. They will cook further under the grill. Drain and set aside.
2. Crack the eggs into a bowl and beat until combined. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and gently cook the onions and garlic until the onions are translucent. Once cooked, add the cooked potatoes, on a medium heat, and then add the asparagus, spinach and peas. Stir until the spinach has wilted.
4. Pour the eggs into the pan, making sure the heat is on medium. As the eggs begin to set, use a spatula to loosen them from the side of the pan. Cook gently for about 4-5 minutes, as this will have cooked the underneath of the tortilla.
5. Transfer the frying pan to the grill for a further 6 minutes until the top is cooked. The tortilla will be browned and firm to touch. Make sure you turn the handle of the pan away from the heat of the grill!
6. To turn out the tortilla, use a spatula to release the edges, give it a bang on the work surface, then place a chopping board or plate on top of the pan and turn it over.
If you don’t like spinach or fancy a change, try using rocket as its delicious peppery taste will work well in this dish.
For an extra twist, add a pinch of dried chilli flakes to spice things up a bit