By Tanya Burr
Recipe from ‘Tanya Bakes’ published by Michael Joseph
Recipe published in Feast, Issue 08 – August 2016
300g of rhubarb
35g of caster sugar
300g of self-raising flour
150g of light brown soft sugar
1tsp of vanilla extract
2tbsps of vegetable oil
100ml of ready-made custard
You will need a 12-hole cupcake/muffin tray
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
2. Line the cupcake/muffin tray with paper cases.
3. Wash and chop the rhubarb into chunky pieces, then arrange in a shallow dish and cover with the caster sugar. Set aside to macerate for 15 minutes.
4. Mix together the flour and sugar, then add the vanilla extract, buttermilk, egg and vegetable oil and combine to form a smooth batter. Add the rhubarb, reserving 12 pieces to decorate, and fold through the mixture.
5. Divide half of the batter between the muffin cases, then top each one with a spoonful of custard. Carefully add the remaining batter to each case to cover the custard, then pop a rhubarb piece on top of each muffin.
6. Bake for 25 minutes until risen and golden.Transfer to a wire rack to cool