175g of gluten free self-raising flour blend (I use Doves Farm)
175g of caster sugar
175g of softened butter or dairy free spread (I use pure olive spread
1½tsp GF baking powder
Crunchy citrus topping
70g of granulated sugar
juice of 1 lemon
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4
2. Grease and line a loaf tin ready for your cake mixture
3. Place all ingredients – flour, sugar, softened butter (or dairy free alternative), baking powder, lemon zest and eggs – into a large bowl and beat together with an electric whisk until all ingredients are combined. Transfer to the prepared tin. Bake in the preheated oven for about 35 minutes or until lightly browned and a skewer inserted comes out clean and the cake has started to come away from the edges of the baking tin
4. While the cake is still warm and in the tin, mix the topping ingredients and drizzle over the top, and, if desired, grate the remaining lemon zest to decorate. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to three days.
5. Serve with well-earned cup of tea
NB: This cake can also be made with oranges – just replace the lemons with oranges for a citrus twist. The light and zesty sponge is topped with a crunchy lemon icing, made with a simple sugar and lemon mixture.
Recipe published in Feast, issue 03.