4 pheasant eggs
Small focaccia loaf, preferably a day or 2 old
100ml of beetroot juice
Dash of white wine vinegar
4 Havensfield hens eggs
250g of salted butter
1.To start place a saucepan of hot water onto heat, add a dash of vinegar not too much, this will help get the perfect poached pheasant eggs.
2. Whilst the water is coming to the boil separate the hen’s eggs, put the yolks into a metal bowl keeping the whites to use another time, add the white wine vinegar and beetroot juice.
3. Place bowl over pan of water and whisk continually until egg mix thickens, being careful not to get the water and bowl too hot or the mix will ‘split’. When thickened remove from heat and leave to cool for 5 minutes.
4. Melt butter in a pan and remove from heat, allow to cool. If you don’t do this hollandaise will ‘split’. Pour butter into mix little by little, and when incorporated check seasoning. Finish with a squeeze of lemon juice, place to one side.
5. Bring water back to the boil and whisk making a whirlpool add your pheasant eggs to poach.
6. Slice focaccia and chargrill both sides.
Put toast onto a plate, drizzle with rapeseed oil, place 2 slices of salmon onto the toast, remove pheasant eggs, drain and put on top of salmon. Coat with beetroot hollandaise and enjoy.
See Fran at the East Anglian Game and Country Fair
Cookery Theatre on Saturday April 27 at 2:30pm