By Sara Matthews
Recipe published in Feast, Issue 18 – July/August 2017
100g of mushrooms, chopped
1/2 large courgette, chopped
1 red bell pepper
1 large sweet potato (about 100g), peeled and cooked
1 red onion, finely chopped
200g tin of butter beans, drained
1tsp of oregano
1tsp of cumin seeds, crushed
1tbsp of tomato purée
1tsp of onion powder
2 garlic cloves, crushed
Juice of 1 lime
For the dressing
Handful finely chopped fresh mint
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven 180°C/gas mark 4.
2. In a pan of boiling water, cook the sweet potato until soft, then drain. Place it in a mixing bowl with the butter beans and roughly mash. You do not want a purée.
3. Cut the aubergine in half lengthways and cut out the centre. Set outside cases to one side. Chop the flesh from the centre of the aubergine along with the other vegetables. Add these to the mash along with the tomato purée, onion powder, crushed garlic, cumin seeds, oregano and mustard. Mix well.
4. Fill the aubergine cases with the mix. Place in a baking dish, cover with foil and cook in a preheated oven for 25 minutes, uncover and cook for a further 10 minutes so the top browns. Or, if cooking on a barbecue, wrap each one in a foil parcel and cook in the oven before simply finishing off (minus the foil) on the barbecue griddle for a few minutes.
5. Before serving, drizzle with lime juice and serve with the dressing. To make the dressing, simply mix all the ingredients together.