By Sara Matthews
Recipe published in Feast, Issue 18 – July/August 2018
60g of mixed seeds (I use 30g of pumpkin and 30g of sunflower)
170g of certified gluten free oats
2tsp of ground flax seeds or chia seeds
100g of coconut sugar (if you do not have coconut sugar you can use unrefined soft brown sugar)
100g of syrup (flavour option 1 – agave syrup; flavour option 2 – date syrup)
100g of dairy free chocolate, melted (I use dark chocolate over 75 per cent)
1. Preheat the oven 140°C/gas mark 1.
2. Line a square 20cm cake or baking tin with baking paper.
3. In a mixing bowl, add the dried fruit, oats, pumpkin, sunflower and flax seeds, and stir to mix.
4. In a saucepan, put the syrup, coconut sugar and coconut oil and very gently heat on the hob until the sugar is dissolved and everything is melted. Keep stirring with a spatula so nothing burns and is well mixed. Once melted, remove from the heat and add to the dry mix, stirring well to coat all the ingredients with the syrup.
5. Fill the baking tin, spread out and smooth down.
6. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and carefully score the top into 12 portions as this will make cutting easier once cooled. Allow to cool.
7. Melt the chocolate and drizzle over the top. Once cooled, cut into 12. In the hot weather, keep them in the fridge in an airtight container