By Justin Kett, The Swan at Lavenham
4 medium sized carrots
250ml of pre-prepared gravy (warmed)
1kg of Désirée potatoes
100ml of double cream
75g of spinach leaves
salt and pepper
1. Pre-heat roasting dish with a small amount of oil in the oven at 180ºC (170ºC fan oven or gas mark 5).
2. Peel parsnips, cut into quarters, remove core, season and roast in the oven until tender and golden for about 30 minutes.
To make the carrot purée
3. Peel carrots and grate into a pan then peel and finely slice the shallot and add to the carrot, allow to cook in a little butter and water until soft, then blitz to a purée, adding salt and pepper with some extra butter. Keep warm.
To make the potato mash
4. Peel potatoes and bring to the boil then allow to simmer until soft, drain, then add cream and butter, season and mash together. Keep warm.
To wilt the greens
5. Heat 10g of butter in a pan, when it starts to sizzle add the cabbage and spinach leaves. Add a little water, season and toss until the greens wilt.
6. Trim the venison loin, heat a little vegetable oil in a hot pan and seal both sides of the meat. Add a knob of butter and place in a dish in a pre-heated oven at 170ºC (160ºC fan or gas mark 4) for around 5 minutes.
Place a quenelle of the mash potato just off the centre of the plate; place the wilted greens and carrot purée alongside and put the venison on top, serve the parsnips down the side and finish with the heated gravy