1 litre vegetable stock*
50g of butter (softened)
2 tbsp of chopped chives; seasoning
Boil together 1.5 litres of water
2 celery sticks
3 sprigs of thyme
6 juniper berries; seasoning
1. In a saucepan, poach the quail very gently (at no more than 60 degrees) in the vegetable stock for approximately 4 hours.
2. Allow to cool slightly and then remove the quail from the poaching liquid and strip the meat from the birds.
3. Mix the quail meat together with the butter in a bowl, fold in the chopped chives and add the seasoning.
4. Place the mixture in a suitable dish to serve.
5. Serve at room temperature with a fresh bread roll, sour dough or toast and a good quality apple or pear chutney
Recipe published in Feast, issue 02.