Monzu Wood Fired Pizza
In our latest Eating In review, Hanneke Lambert tries out Monzu Wood Fired Pizza, based in The Broads
What did you try?
My husband and I tried Monzu Wood Fired Pizza, who create handmade pizzas, with San Marzano tomatoes and Flor di Latte Mozzarella, from their converted trailer which includes a wood fired oven. They also make the dough, using Italian flour.
Who runs it?
It is run by husband and wife team, Claire and Darren Cameron, from Horning. They set up the business last year after both being made redundant, and used the first lockdown to perfect their recipes and cooking techniques.
How does it work?
The couple advertise on Facebook/Instagram and have a strong following. They post their menus and destinations, and you simply phone up (07895 403744) and pre order what you fancy. Walk ups are possible but calling in advance is recommended.
When it is available?
They turn up in their rather glam Art Deco truck early evenings, in towns and villages around The Broads.
What is on offer?
There are about six regular pizzas on offer plus a couple of specials and a garlic focaccia. Vegan and vegetarian options are always available. Non alcoholic drinks are also on offer.
What did you have?
We tried three pizzas: the American Pepperoni (£8.50), Pecorino (£9.50) – delicious with the sweet addition of caramelised onions and, from the specials, a Ramiro (£10) which included roasted Ramiro peppers, Milano salami, chestnut mushrooms, passata, mozzarella and Parmesan. All pizzas were extremely tasty, lovely and light, not too heavy on the cheese, and very fresh.
How is it served?
Everything comes in brown recyclable cardboard, with their logo beautifully stamped on to each box by Darren.
Anything else we need to know?
Monzu means great chef and artist and the couple chose the name to reflect their love of authentic Neapolitan cuisine. They are available for private hire and events.
A lot of love has gone into this business – it really is a touch of Naples in Norfolk! And do look out for the lovely little touches like old tomato tins made into vases.
Where to find Monzu this week:
- Every Friday at Hoveton Village Hall from 5-8pm
- Every fortnight, starting tomorrow April 3, on a Saturday at The Bell at Salhouse from 5-8pm
- Every Tuesday at the Norfolk Broads caravan park at Johnson street Ludham, with the occasional Saturday (keep an eye on their social media updates)
- Throughout the Summer they will be popping up at Salhouse Campsite ,Tunstead Horse and Groom and Womack Staithe, Ludham (keep an eye on their social media for updates)
- Monzu will also be attending The Stunning Autumn Wedding Fair at The Forum Norwich – 5th September 2021